Unions gear up for busiest-ever Adult Learners' Week
Unionlearn has released details of a host of union organised and supported events taking place during this week's Adult Learners' Week.
The week - which includes Learning at Work Day on Thursday 25th May - aims to promote education and training for adults, and encourage more people to participate in learning.
Hundreds of events have been organised across England, including:
* Union Learning Reps in Derbyshire will be meeting at the Bombardier plant in Derby on Monday 22nd May celebrate the start of Adult Learners Week and help launch a workplace book swapping campaign.
* On Tuesday 23rd May, First Bus garage at Uxbridge is holding taster sessions on skills for life and ECDL* courses.
* Tesco on the Portobello Road, London, will be holding a gadget day on Tuesday 23rd May with information on how to use digital cameras, broadband and how buy and sell online.
* PCS at the British Library in Wetherby are co-ordinating activities all day on Wednesday 24th May with fun computer quizzes, English and maths tests and other taster sessions. The Open Univeristy, York College and York University are also providing help.
* As part of 'Learning at Work Day' on Thursday 25th May BFAWU and Gunstone Bakeries in Chesterfield will formally sign a learning agreement. The partnership agreement, in conjunction with Chesterfield College, will promote learning throughout the company.
* The new learning centre at Hansford Brick in Desford will officially be opened on Thursday 25th May, with TGWU reps and the TUC present.
* The Learning on the Move Presentation evening will be held on Friday 26th May with a ceremony to be held on the Queen Mary at Waterloo Pier. The presentation will mark the achievement of learners in courses organised jointly by Metroline Buses, unions, the College of North East London, DfES and Transport for London.
* BNFL in Cumbria will have a union learning open day with taster sessions in Tai Chi, motorbike tuition and dyslexia awareness.
* Building union UCATT will be running awareness days throughout the week at difference construction sites, including Castleford, Keighley and Kingswood Development at Hull.
Unionlearn, was established by the TUC to help unions spread the lifelong learning message to its members. Its director Liz Smith will give the keynote address at an event being hosted by Chelsea & Westminster NHS Trust on 'Learning at Work Day' on the role of unions in learning.
Training Reference is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites
Visit our events page for more news about conferences, exhibitions and seminars.
Training Reference accepts no liability or responsibility for any direct, indirect or consequential loss
or damage caused by the user's reliance on any information, material or advice published on, or
accessed from, this website. Users of this website are encouraged to verify information received with
other sources. E&OE. All trademarks acknowledged. © Copyright Training Reference 2003 - 2006