Employers urged to begin a New Year detox
Investors in People are urging employers to detox their workplace by identifying and tackling issues that could undermine their organisation over the year ahead.
The organisation has launched a web-based test which it says it will enable employers to examine current policies and practices, and identify opportunities for improvement.
Ruth Spellman, chief executive of Investors in People, said: "Many managers begin the New Year with fresh ideas and enthusiasm, but it's important to identify specific areas for improvement within the context of their business plan before launching any action. Without this attention, new plans will not be properly targeted and delivered and, as a result, may not deliver any real benefit to the business.
Investors in People says the web-based test will guide employers through multiple choice questions exploring life within the workplace and give them a green/amber/red rating based on how their workplace measures up to the principles contained in Profile, the Investors in People development tool.
Investors in People are also offering 'top tips' to help managers take simple steps to prepare for challenges over the year ahead:
* Conduct a future skills audit - map your team's current capabilities against what you are likely to need to deliver your goals. Develop plans to address any 'skills gap' you uncover.
* Make the link between goals and individuals - to contribute fully towards 2006's goals, your people need to know what you expect from them. Help them understand what you are looking to achieve, how it will help the organisation, and what they need to do to bring the vision to life.
* Prioritise communication with staff - ensure you have clear and well-known mechanisms for regular interaction with your staff. Maintain the flow of information and invite feedback so you can gain their input and ideas. This will ensure your staff know they are involved and that their contribution is valued
* Make sure measures are in place - when you've defined what you are looking for, put measures in place to evaluate success. It's vital that you can both systematically review progress and identify emerging issues as early as possible.
* Celebrate milestones - part of an employee's relish for future challenges comes from recognition of the progress already made. As your team reach milestones over the year, make sure you celebrate them to keep commitment and enthusiasm high.
The Investors in People web-based test can be found at: www.investorsinpeople.co.uk/profile. To download the tool you are required to register your first name, surname, postcode and e-mail address.
Training Reference is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites.
Training Reference accepts no liability or responsibility for any direct, indirect or consequential loss
or damage caused by the user's reliance on any information, material or advice published on, or
accessed from, this website. Users of this website are encouraged to verify information received with
other sources. E&OE. All trademarks acknowledged. © Copyright Training Reference 2003 - 2006